The Son of God has the life of God and also the image of God in order to declare God (Col. 1:15; John 1:18). Without Jesus Christ, the Son of God, there would be no way for God to be declared. God is manifested through the Son. The Son of God is the effulgence of God’s glory and the impress of God’s substance (Heb. 1:3). When people saw the Son of God, they saw God (John 14:9).
Jesus is the true representation of God. Jesus came to reveal God to mankind. There was no way Man could know God. Looking at Jesus gives you a perfectly clear picture of what the invisible God is like. Any other picture is a lie and a distortion. (Read John 12:44-45 & 14:7-10)
HOW CAN I GET TO KNOW GOD BETTER?
(1) Everyone knows that God exists. “God has made it plain” that He is real, “for since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse” (Romans 1:19-20). Some try to suppress the knowledge of God; most try to add to it. The Christian has a deep desire to know God better (Psalm 25:4).
(2) In John 3 we read about a man who clearly wanted to know God better and who became more studied than most in the things of God. His name was Nicodemus, and he was a Pharisee, a ruler of the Jews. This Nicodemus knew that Jesus had come from God, and he was truly curious to learn more about Jesus. Jesus patiently explained to Nicodemus how he must be born again (verses 3-15). In order to know God better, Nicodemus had come to the right person—“In Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form” (Colossians 2:9). Jesus is indeed the Word of God made flesh (John 1:14). Jesus revealed God through His words and works. He even said that no one comes to the Father but by Him (John 14:6). If you want to know who God is, look at Jesus.
(3) So, we must start with faith. The first step in knowing God better is to know Jesus Christ, who was sent from God (John 6:38). Once we are born again by the power of the Holy Spirit, we can truly begin to learn about God, His character, and His will. “The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God” (1 Corinthians 2:10). By contrast, “the person without the Spirit . . . cannot understand [the things of God] because they are discerned only through the Spirit” (verse 14). There is a difference between the “natural” man and the “spiritual” man.
(4) Romans 10:17 says, “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the Word of Christ.” It cannot be emphasized enough how the study of God’s Word, the Bible, is paramount to knowing God better. We must, “like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it [we] may grow up in [our] salvation, now that [we] have tasted that the Lord is good” (1 Peter 2:2-3). God’s Word should be our “delight” (Psalm 119:16, 24).
(5) Those who are learning more about God are also those who obey the command to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Born-again believers always have the Holy Spirit, but Ephesians 5:15-21 teaches us to walk in the Spirit and surrender to His will.
(6) Prayer is also an important part of knowing God better. As we pray, we praise God for His character and for what He has done. We spend time with Him, relying on His power and allowing the Spirit to intercede for us “through wordless groans” (Romans 8:26).
(7) Also consider that one can get to know God better by fellowshipping with other believers. The Christian life was not meant to be lived alone. We learn more about God through the preaching of God’s Word and the godly counsel of those who walk with Him. Make the most of your church experience, get involved, do small-group Bible study, go witnessing with fellow believers. Just like a log ablaze on the hearth soon goes out when it is removed and placed aside, so we will lose our fervor for God if we do not fellowship with other believers. But put the log back into the fire with the other logs, and it will burn brightly again.
(8) To summarize how to get to know God better:
- Accept Christ as your Savior
- Read His Word…it is alive (Hebrews 4:12)
- On an ongoing basis, be filled with the Holy Spirit
- Seek the Lord through prayer
- Fellowship and live out your life with the saints (Hebrews 10:25)
When you donate to this ministry, you are changing lives through the messages that Pastor Paul Silway is sharing free on different platforms. God will surely bless you! We appreciate your help and generosity. I pray a special blessing over all who give for this ministry.
DONATIONS FROM INDIA (For Ministry)
A/c No: 913010036443101
MICR Code: 411211022
DONATIONS FROM ABROAD (For Ministry)
BANK OF INDIA
A/c No: 050710210000006
Swift Code: BKIDINBBPMP
LOVE OFFERING (For Pastor)
A/c Name: Paul David Silway
Savings A/c No: 00990100243418