Mary, the earthly mother of Jesus, was an incredible woman. The Lord favored her for an event that had been long awaited since the Genesis 3:15 prophecy of the Seed of a woman, i.e. the Virgin Birth. This is the official position of the Roman Catholic Church, not the Bible. The reason Roman Catholic Church believes in the perpetual virginity of Mary is because The Roman Catholic Church views Mary as “the Mother of God” and “Queen of Heaven.”
MOTHER MARY DIDN’T REMAIN A VIRGIN PERPETUALLY
Matthew 1:25 tells us, “Joseph had no relations with her UNTIL she bore a son, and he named him Jesus.” Joseph, did not have sexual relations with Mary, UNTIL after she bore a son, Jesus.
The meaning of the above Scripture is abundantly clear. Joseph and Mary did not have any sexual relations UNTIL after Jesus was born. This also means AFTER WHICH they had sexual relations. Sex in marriage is not sinful. Mary would have in no way defiled herself by having sexual relations with Joseph her husband.
JOSEPH’S and MARY’S CHILDREN:
Matthew 13:55-56 declares, “Is He not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother named Mary and his BROTHERS JAMES, JOSEPH, SIMON, AND JUDAS? Are not HIS SISTERS all with us?”
TO PROVE THAT MOTHER MARY REMAINS A VIRGIN FOREVER, THEY SAY…
(1) Some have suggested these brothers and sisters were cousins or more distant relations.
If true, why didn’t the writers use the Greek term for cousins (anepsios)? The Greek word did exist and was used in Scripture (Colossians 4:10). If they were more distant relatives, then why not use a Greek word that meant relatives (suggenes), such as the one describing Mary and Elizabeth’s relational status in Luke 1:36? Why did Matthew and Mark use the words most commonly translated as brothers (adelphos) and sisters (adelphe)? In any other context no one would have questioned this meaning.
(2) Secondly they spoke of Jesus in an offensive way. Why should the children of another family be brought in here to share a reproach which was designed for Joseph the carpenter, Mary his wife, Jesus their son, and their other children?
(3) Why would these people criticize Jesus by mentioning his father (as they presumed) and mother and then seemingly switch to distant relatives?
(4) The Apostle Paul also claimed that Jesus had at least one brother. Concerning his first trip to Jerusalem after his conversion, Paul wrote, “But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother” (Galatians 1:19).
(5) The first chapter of Acts tells how the disciples met to select a replacement for Judas. Luke specifically SINGLED OUT MARY AND THE BROTHERS OF JESUS.
Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey. And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, AND WITH HIS BROTHERS (Acts 1:12-14).
(6) To claim Mary was a perpetual virgin even after Christ was born is to deny the words of the Apostle Matthew, who wrote, “Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and TOOK TO HIM HIS WIFE, and did not know her TILL she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name JESUS” (Matthew 1:24-25).
“Knew” was a modest way of describing sexual relations in ancient times. For example, Adam knew Eve, and she conceived Cain, and he knew her again, and she bore Seth (Genesis 4:1, 25). Cain knew his wife, and she bore Enoch (Genesis 4:17). If Joseph never knew Mary at all, the phrase “till she had brought forth her firstborn Son” is pointless. Obviously, Joseph did not sleep with Mary until after she gave birth to Jesus, fulfilling both parts of the prophecy (virginal conception and virgin birth, as Isaiah 7:14 states, “the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son,” emphasis added). But this means Joseph did know her after she gave birth to Jesus, so she was no longer a virgin.
(7) In fact, sex within marriage is not a sin but is a creation ordinance within marriage that existed PRIOR to sin and the Curse. Jesus quoted Genesis 2:24 in Matthew 19:5-6, reiterating “the two shall be one flesh.”
Consider that God commanded people to be fruitful and multiply in Genesis 1:28 and twice in Genesis 9 (verses 1 and 7). Malachi 2:14-15 indicates one reason for marriage is to have GODLY OFFSPRING. Why would Mary be disobedient to God? Since she was truly a godly woman, she would have respected His commands and honor them. Having at least two daughters and five sons would indeed be fulfilling God’s commands to be fruitful and multiply.
(8) The following Gospel account provides more evidence Jesus had siblings:
While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, HIS MOTHER AND BROTHERS stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”
But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is MY MOTHER AND WHO ARE MY BROTHERS?” And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “HERE ARE MY MOTHER AND MY BROTHERS! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.” (Matthew 12:46-50) This event is also described in Mark 3:32-35 and Luke 8:19-21.
Here Christ indicated a DISTINCTION BETWEEN HIS FLESHLY BROTHERS AND MOTHER AND HIS SPIRITUAL BROTHERS AND MOTHER. This account also further corroborates the idea that Jesus had brothers.
(9) Matthew 1:24 says: And Joseph, being roused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him AND TOOK HIS WIFE,
Here it points out that after the angel visited Joseph, he kept her as his wife.
(10) To further prove their point that Mary was a virgin forever, they even claim that Jesus’ brothers and sisters were sons of Joseph by A FORMER WIFE, but there is no biblical foundation for this nor for the perpetual virginity of Mary.
(11) They also say that Mary made a vow to remain a virgin forever, but the BIBLE does not say it. IF she had decided to be a virgin forever, then why did she get married, she could remain a virgin, unmarried. She got espoused to Joseph and she didn’t know that she would be giving birth to Jesus in a miraculous way.
When you donate to this ministry, you are changing lives through the messages that Pastor Paul Silway is sharing free on different platforms. God will surely bless you! We appreciate your help and generosity. I pray a special blessing over all who give for this ministry.
DONATIONS FROM INDIA (For Ministry)
A/c No: 913010036443101
MICR Code: 411211022
DONATIONS FROM ABROAD (For Ministry)
BANK OF INDIA
A/c No: 050710210000006
Swift Code: BKIDINBBPMP
LOVE OFFERING (For Pastor)
A/c Name: Paul David Silway
Savings A/c No: 00990100243418